Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Forest Night

Aranyaraat - Forest Night

Verse 1

You keep thinking, the river goes flowing and I see
the forest stays awake all night
Fireflies blink, a few worms moonbathe
Your hair awash with dewdrops that also wet your eyelashes.
My Calcutta lies wrapped in deep, misty sleep
Blows the morose wind bringing on with it the wail of a poison flower

Chorus

If my breath touches the wind
Sparks will fly, definitely, sparks
And that very moment, somebody,
Pushing the mouth into my ear, will tell me stories.

Verse 2
When the trees sway, clouds clear up,
a bit of light takes a dip in the water
Thinking now, staring at the clock,
can you hear a strange song?
Without flesh or blood, and no skin to hold it tight,
The soul of this song wants to flee, defying all norms
There is a bit of chill, a pinch of fear in the air,
Yet it’s soothing to be here
It’s a neat feeling.

English Translations by Sangeeta Ghoshal

No comments: