Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Tistaan II

Tistaan II
1)
With five rupees starts my day,
with sixteen it ends;
Three rupees will buy me freedom,
And then I take off.

Pre-Chorus
Why did you then stretch out your arms?
And why so quiet now?
What made you light the lamps?
Now it’s only burnt incense
You are altogether a different entity now.

Chorus
As for me, almost insane,
gotten used to poisoning myself everyday,
These two empty hands clamour again
for Tistan… oh take me back
to Tistan.

2)
End of the month,
They’ll fill your pockets
Yet it is at these monthends
You feel completely empty within.

Pre-Chorus
When time traps you,
Your time doesn’t move
When it is needed most,
You’ll find none of it
Time would have deserted you by then.

3)
Why didn’t you cry when I said ‘I’m leaving?’
Made mistakes, why didn’t you stop me?
As long as you’re winning, everybody’s with you,
You lose once, no one is there beside you.

English Translations by Sangeeta Ghoshal